Friday, July 20, 2012

The Sound-Through The Decades

I love music. Music Changes. On this date 58 years ago a man called Elvis Presley changed the style of music in 1954. There are many styles of music for the same song. Someone said Amazing Grace has been recorded by over 3,000 people, each one singing it differently I would guess. I heard the group "The Sound' in our church years ago, I do not know  if they are singing together still or not- but I so enjoyed this song on their CD called "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms- Through the Decades". So next time you think your style of music is the only style there is, think of this song and how music seems to change every 10 years or so. It could also remind you of the one thing that does not change- His Everlasting Arms....


Leaning on the Everlasting Arms is a hymn published in 1887 with music by Anthony J. Showalter and lyrics by Showalter and Elisha A. Hoffman. Showalter said that he received letters from two of his former pupils saying that their wives had died. When writing letters of consolation, Showalter was inspired by the phrase in the Book of Deuteronomy 33:27 "The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms".
Not to take away from the Sound- here is another clip of how worship music has evolved thru the years I bet you know most of these songs and there are many ways to worship our God. Incidentally, this is my most viewed blog I have posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment